This Award enables the holder to lead groups on day walks in lowland countryside and woodland in summer conditions. The majority of the UK and Ireland is made up of this type of terrain so you’ll never be short of places to go walking. It is the key qualification for those working on Duke of Edinburgh’s Award Bronze and Silver expeditions.
The training course will follow the MTUK Lowland Leaders syllabus. http://www.mountain-training.org/walking/skills-and-awards/lowland-leader In particular it will look at the following areas:
- Leadership Skills and Group Management
- Walking Skills
- Planning a Walk
- Basic map work and route finding skills
- Hazards and Emergency Procedures
- Environment Awareness, Conservation, Access and Land Ownership
The programme may be revised at short notice to take account of weather and other considerations, in such a way as to satisfy the spirit and detail of the Lowland Leader syllabus.
The course takes place over 2 days and will be based in East Anglia.
- You must be registered on the Lowland Leader scheme with Mountain Training
- Prior to attending the training you should have logged a minimum of ten varied walks in Lowland terrain where the use of a map is required OR
- Have attended a Hill or Mountain Skills course
The period between training and assessment varies in length for each person and is an opportunity to develop your skills, paying particular attention to any weaknesses identified during the training course. We recommend at least three months between training and assessment and if it takes you a few years to feel ready, that’s fine too.
Before you book onto a Lowland Leader assessment, make sure you have done the following:
- You must have logged a minimum of 20 walks in lowland countryside in different types of terrain (woodland, coastal, farmland etc)
- You must hold a current first aid certificate, minimum 16 hours and relevant to your work as a Lowland Leader
The Lowland Leader assessment is 2 days long (minimum 16 hours contact time)
|Course dates:||Saturday Oct 20th to Sunday 21st October 2018|
|Location:||Chiltons or Suffolk|
|Costs:||£125* plus £39 registration to Lowland Leaders Scheme|
|Assessment:||To be arranged in June/July 2015|
If you would like to arrange an assessment please contact email@example.com
This course is hosted and run by vertical relief and the tutor is experienced mountaineer Steve Pease www.verticalrelief.co.uk